Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Windows downgrade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 04-11-2002, 06:18 AM
agrees Offline

Windows downgrade

I am running windows me installed over windows98. I wish to install windows 98 second edition. How do I go about it.

Old 05-05-2002, 01:30 PM
evil_walnut Offline
-= Die-Hard XP fan =-

Re: Windows downgrade

Quote:
Originally posted by agrees
I am running windows me installed over windows98. I wish to install windows 98 second edition. How do I go about it.

You cannot install windows 98 se over windows ME. I'm sorry...that's just another blunder of Microžoft.

I suggest you backup your most important information, reformat your hard drive (see below on how to do that), and reinstall Windows 98se.

-------------------------------------
To reformat your hard drive:[list=1][*]Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode (Restart the computer, and press F8 while the computer is booting up again)[*]type "format C:"[*]then, restart the computer.[*]Now, insert the Windows 98 Boot floppy and go through the setup[/list=1]

I would give you the option to dual boot, but unfortunately, you cannot dual boot with ME and 98...oh well. ME sucks anyway.

Old 05-06-2002, 06:24 AM
gab1982

no Me does not suck

who would like to run windows 98 or 98se with ME not me, 98 and 98se is too slow and if you have 98 and ME both on your pc then it will eat your ram and your hard drive space and its a load of trouble the best way to do it is to have one and ME is much faster than slow 98 or 98se but XP is better than both

Old 05-06-2002, 09:15 AM
evil_walnut Offline
-= Die-Hard XP fan =-

Re: no Me does not suck

Quote:
Originally posted by gab1982
who would like to run windows 98 or 98se with ME not me, 98 and 98se is too slow and if you have 98 and ME both on your pc then it will eat your ram and your hard drive space and its a load of trouble the best way to do it is to have one and ME is much faster than slow 98 or 98se but XP is better than both

You cannot dual boot with Windows 98/98se and ME. it is impossible. Besides, who wants windowsME on their computer in the first place?

People only have windows ME so that when they screw up their computer, it is very easy to blame it on WinME!

My recommendations:
-Backup, format, install windows 98
-Dual boot Windows 98 and Windows XP.

About your "Windows XP is better than both" ... that is true in some cases, false in others. Some programs (mostly games) cannot run on Windows XP. Even the Compatibility mode fails sometimes. Therefore, it is a good idea to have windows 98 lying around, collecting dust if it must, in case of compatibility issues.

However, Windows XP is much more enhanced in digital media. I noticed that video and audio is much better in quality and accuracy(the sound and video do not get off timing, even on a Pentium 2). Windows 98 seems to have a hard time playing digital media as well as XP.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:16 PM
timekeeper Offline

Eh, eh, eh, actually you CAN multiboot 98 and me, make two partitions and install them using Partition Magic Pro 8 or something and use a third party bootloader.

Also, yeah, XP and 98 are the best combo, XP for everyday and 98 for gaming. NOTE: 98 will only support up to 512MB RAM