SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Copy, Paste, and Cut stopped working!!!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 2.93 average. Display Modes

Old 04-18-2003, 06:14 PM
Track3R Offline

Copy, Paste, and Cut stopped working!!!

My keyboard has never had any problem cutting, pasting, or copying via CTRL+X, CTRL+C, and CTRL+V, nor my mouse through the right-click menu. Yet just last week, it stopped working!! I highlight text or a file, and use the keyboard, or right-click, and use the keyboard to paste, and nothing happens! I can also copy, and then right-click in the same window and cut, copy, and paste are all greyed out! This is the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I tried rebooting, restarting explorer.exe manually, to no avail. I would think this is a hardware problem, if it weren't happening via both keyboard and mouse. But here's the weird part: if you have two windows open, and right-click (holding right-click) on a file, and drag it to the second windows, the menu comes up saying move here or copy here, and that works. This problem is not limited to explorer. I've seen it on all applications now. I am trying to avoid stuff like reinstallation, as this is not the most severe problem I've ever encountered, just the weirdest. I am running Windows XP SP1, fully updated. I would really appreciate your input on either if anyone has ever seen this (as I have found no info on google searches), or maybe has some insight into this problem.

Thanks again,
~Track3R

Old 04-18-2003, 08:14 PM
Daeymon Offline

The clipboard may be corrupted, or disabled. When you copy something it copys it to the Clipboard so that you can paste it later. check to see that the Clipboard service is enabled. go to START , RUN, Type Services.msc. Look for clipboard and make sure its automatic, and enabled, and started. If it is. then you may need to try something else.

Jeff

Aim-Jeffzsx
Yahoo Messenger-Jeffzsx
If you need help message me Ill see what I can do.

Old 04-19-2003, 08:42 AM
Track3R Offline

Thanks

There is no clipboard service, only ClipBook, which isn't on with my XP machine that has copy and paste working. Fortunately I fixed it. It turns out that for some reason it worked on the default Administrator account (though my account has administrator privlages too). So I fooled around with my account and it just started to work?? Thanks anyways.

Old 04-18-2005, 03:08 PM
chelsa Offline

same problem

I am having the same copy and paste problem on my work computer. It is running Windows 2000 SP2. Last week I thought I had fixed it, I updated IE and I also logged an as a different user and it started working. But today it has stopped working again.
I tried the services.msc. It says Clipbook was on manual startup, I clicked start, but copy and paste r still not working.
Don't know what to do next.
Chelsa.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Vecilouollie Offline

Angry Same Problem

hello im having the same problem with copying and pasting. it is occurring in microsoft word, excel and powerpoint!!! so i did think it was a problem with microsoft office but it started happening in spss statistics package so i can only assume it is something wrong with windows xp. Since i only use this computer for working purposes it cant be anything ive downloaded! i did have a windows update a week or so ago and the problem has occurred ever since. Sometimes it will let me copy and past after 8 or 9 tries just randomly. If anyone can help me please let me know as im in the middle of writing a dissertatin and its driving me crazy!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 AM
DaveC2003 Offline

Have you tried searching for a driver update for the keyboard?

Windows 7 Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP)

Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM
jfb23 Offline

If you are using Remote Desktop, closing down the connection will restore copy/paste functionality.

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic140408.html

If you are using Firefox, may require a registry edit...
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Clipboard_not_working

Old 06-30-2007, 12:03 AM
lbeachmike Offline

In my case, I had Putty running (SSH terminal program) and when I closed Putty, copy/paste functionality returned to normal.

The last post re: remote connections had me try closing Putty, so thanks.

Mike

Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 AM
renniesingh Offline

This works

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeymon
The clipboard may be corrupted, or disabled. When you copy something it copys it to the Clipboard so that you can paste it later. check to see that the Clipboard service is enabled. go to START , RUN, Type Services.msc. Look for clipboard and make sure its automatic, and enabled, and started. If it is. then you may need to try something else.

I used to have this problem until I tried this...

Old 08-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Gale Offline

Question Copy and paste stopped working on websites

I too have lost the ability to copy and paste from a website such as facebook. I have had this capability in the past so not sure what happened to change it. I can still copy, cut and paste on Office Programs. I have Windows Vista and this is a websites only dilemma....any suggestions?

Old 12-21-2011, 03:56 PM
PCgeek Offline

Thumbs up It is your java

I uninstalled java. Don't know if I will be missing anything now but the paste does now work

Old 12-25-2011, 11:44 AM
dbjes Offline

try this:

go to

C:\WINDOWS\system32\clipsrv.exe

and click it.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM
dbjes Offline

or try "Repair" in

Word/Help/Repair

This last one worked for me wonderfully just now.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:51 AM
JustanAceruser Offline

Missing clipboard in services.msc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeymon

You're answer didn't cover if I'm missing the clipboard in services.msc
running Vista home basic build 6002 service pack 2

in notepad the the copy paste .... menu items under edit are grey also grey in the right mouse context menu

Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 AM
davidmelau Offline

If u have instaled Iobit Advanced System Care utility on your pc just uninstall it and everything will work normaly I had same problem too and i fix it with that