SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Help! unable to boot with windows bootable cd.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 38 votes, 2.68 average. Display Modes

Old 02-13-2010, 05:45 PM
arch angels Offline

Help! unable to boot with windows bootable cd.

PLease help friends, I have SATA Installed in my system with windows Xp installed in it already. I just want to format my drive and do a fresh installation of windows Xp in my system. I have bootable windows XP CD with me but i am not able to boot my system with it. I have checked the booting sequence in CMOS setup, there is no problem with that. Windows bootable cd that i have is fine, cause it is booting the other systems fine. Cd drive installed in my system is also perfectly working fine, cause i can easily boot with the linux CD, its just windows bootable cds which are not letting me boot into the windows setup. It reaches the screen where it says "VARIFYING DMI POOL DATA.....BOOT FROM CD:" and then instead of prompting me to "press Enter Key" to boot from CD, it boots from the hard disk in which windows XP is installed, which i want to format/overwrite.
please advice the solution.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:10 PM
Embolism Offline

Have you changed boot priority to cd/dvd Rom so it doesn`t just boot from your HDD?, ok so as I understand it your box does`nt recognise windows disc, but does recognise linux disc so what is the problem,you have 2 options either use your existing linux disc and use Gparted to reformat your drive or download Kanotix live cd and use the partition manager therein to do the job,simples.If using the latter disc option always / boot partition and reset fstab after deleting partition and formatting in fat32/NTFS it takes me 3 mins to format a drive.Hope this helps