SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

2 small questions: cookies folder and folder options

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.40 average. Display Modes

Old 07-15-2003, 06:46 AM
MiaBocca Offline

Question 2 small questions: cookies folder and folder options

Hello, I came across this forum through Google, I have 2 small questions.

Q1. Cookies:

The location of cookies in IE 6, Windows XP Home Edition - It has always been in Temporary Internet Files, last week it suddenly changed to Documents & Settings/Username/Cookies/

I'd like it to go back to Temporary Internet Files because it's easier to handle and delete the cookies (it shows more info than in the Cookies folder.

Does anyone know how to change the folder that cookies are stored in? I can't find the answer in Windows help, or at microsoft.com

Q2. Folder Opening Options

When I open a folder it opens it in a new window from the last open folder, rather than the existing folder window - bit of a pet peeve there!

I've checked Control Panel/Folder Options and "open each folder in the same window" is checked - yet still the folders open in a new window. Not sure how to fix this.

Thanks for any help.

MiaBocca

Last edited by MiaBocca : 07-15-2003 at 06:51 AM.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:16 PM
njovin Offline

As for the cookies, as far as I know they've ALWAYS been in the cookies folder, I've never seen them set up anywhere else in XP. I don't know if there's a way to change the location of them, but you CAN change the way they are viewed

You said in the Cookies folder it doesn't give all the details you want about the files. What you have to do first is (in the Cookies folder) click on View->Details. Then, in the detail view, right click on any of the column headers (Name, Type, Size, etc.). Now you can choose which information you want displayed (expiration, site, etc.) Any columns you check will show up in that folder from now on.

For the opening folders in new windows, that's an odd one. I would keep searching. If all else fails, you may need to re-install windows.

Old 07-15-2003, 02:21 PM
jerry_ryan Offline

referring to your question #2 -
try changing the settings to "open in a new windows" then shutdown & reboot. Then try changing it back "open in same window" then shutdown & reboot again.
I have found this to work for a few options that seem to loose the brains.

Good Luck

Old 02-23-2005, 08:32 PM
ghost Offline

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaBocca

Does anyone know how to change the folder that cookies are stored in? I can't find the answer in Windows help, or at microsoft.com

try a program called x-teq xsetup (aka dotec) - this allows u to change the locations of special folders

Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 PM
overload Offline

If you're familiar with the registry you can change the path for the cookies folder in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Internet Settings\Cache\Special Paths\Cookies
chnage the path to whatever you want there.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:46 AM
naagasatish Offline

Dear All,

I m using Winxp SP2. Here in my system no folder options are enabling. that folder option not here in tools options. In control panel also not there. Please tell me how to see that folder options in that tools menu. In tools menu only seeing "1.Map Network Drive, 2.Dissconnect Network drive,3.Syncronize" only three options are showing. That Folder Option is not here. Please tel me the solutions.

Regards,
Naga Satish.k