SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Extremely Slow boot up with Windows XP

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.06 average. Display Modes

Old 08-22-2003, 05:39 PM
NaKeD Offline

Extremely Slow boot up with Windows XP

just formatted and done a fresh install.. only to find that my boot up speed takes like.. 5 mins + (at the loading bar for XP Pro)
no anti virus installed, all non-essential processes turned off at start up, system restore and auto update turned off,

the probably also seemed to start after i updated windows
:S

Old 08-22-2003, 06:41 PM
jmatt Offline

To my knowledge , if you have just updated , you should be OK , MS say they have have fixed all their faulty patches .

Did you download all the security fixes ?

Here are some other things to try .

http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...rvices-3.shtml
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/winxp...es/index.shtml
http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/wfp/index.shtml

If your system hangs about 2 or 3 minutes at startup, where you can't access the Start button or the Taskbar, it may be due to one specific service (Background Intelligent Transfer) running in the background. Microsoft put out a patch for this but it didn't work for me. Here's what you do:

Click on Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools then Services.
Go to the 'Services' tab, find the 'Background Intelligent Transfer' service.
Disable it, apply the changes & reboot.

Or if you don't want to disable it .

Background Intelligent Transfer Service. Uses idle network bandwidth to transfer data. For the majority of Users this feature should be of little use & as such I’d recommend setting it to Manual. Those on highly active Networks may benefit from having this set to Automatic, although it may be worth testing out to see if it does.

------------------------------------------------

http://rogier.xszone.nl/windows/wintricks.html
• Defragment boot files
The boot defragment option is usually enabled by default, but it may be disabled, or not properly enabled. If it's not working, XP may boot dog-slow.
To enable it:
- Edit HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Dfrg\BootOptimizeFunction, find the string called Enable. If the string value is set to N, change it to Y.

-----------------------------------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308041
Resources for Troubleshooting Startup Problems in Windows XP

---------------------------------------------

http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm
http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servic...#Network%20DDE

Enable Quick post in BIOS setup , as long as you have a have a lot of memory .
The normal memory test , is tested three times & that alone may take 60 to 90 seconds.

----------------------------------------------

http://www.windows-help.net/WindowsXP/troub-07.html
http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/winstartupnew/
Disable the Windows XP Prefetcher
Windows XP has a Prefetcher component, which shortens the amount of time it takes to start
Windows and programs. When trouble shooting either Windows or program start-up issues, it might
be helpful to disable the prefetcher, because it runs as a background service while other
applications are running or loading.

To disable the prefetcher:

Start the Registry Editor
Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ SessionManager \ Memory Management \ PrefetchParameters
Double-click the EnablePrefetcher value (remember the value that EnablePrefetcher is set to!)
Change the Value data to 0 to disable the prefetcher .
Close the registry editor and reboot the computer for the changes to take effect
When done troubleshooting, you can re-enable the prefetcher by changing the Value data to its
original value.

Values for EnablePrefetcher are:

0 - no prefetch
1 - prefetch applications only
2 - prefetch boot only
3 - prefetch both applications & boot (default)
I find 5 is best .
It may also be useful to periodically clean up the prefetch folder, as it may contain obsolete
links. The Prefetch folder can be found in the Windows folder on your system drive. Select all
the files, and delete them. When done, reboot your computer.

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.scotsnewsletter.com/47.htm
Application Slow-Downs in Windows XP

Control Panel > Network Connections > Right-click your main network connection , choose
Properties > Double-click "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" > Click Advanced
button > Select WINS tab .

The solution I've seen recommended and posted in various places is to
remove the check mark beside "Enable LMHOSTS lookup" on the WINS tab
and/or "Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP." People report that the
application slow-downs go away .

----------------------------------------------

Not networking , this will help .
1) Control Panel -> Internet Options
2) Connections tab
3) LAN Settings
4) Uncheck "Automatically Detect Settings"

------------------------------------------------

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q158705
How to Disable the Find Fast Indexer

http://www.remainsecure.com/whitepap...g/mshidden.htm

8. THE TRUTH ABOUT FIND FAST

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/fastboot/

http://www.pcquest.com/content/technology/102041001.asp

http://www.longshome.com/xp_boot.htm

http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/winstartupnew/4.shtml

BOOTVIS.EXE TOOL.......... Improve boot and resume times in XP. The design goals for the
consumer version of Windows XP on a typical consumer PC are: Boot to a useable state in a
total of 30 seconds. Resume from Hibernate (S4) in a total of 20 seconds. Resume from Standby
(S3) in a total of 5 seconds. Boot and resume times are measured from the time the power switch
is pressed to being able to start a program from a desktop shortcut. BootVis.exe Tool is a
performance trace visualization tool for use in speeding boot times with Windows XP systems.
Note: This version of BootVis.exe is compatible with Windows XP builds 2517 and later. Also
included is a MS white paper which describes issues and solutions for achieving fast system
start up on PC systems running Windows XP.....(free).....GO THERE!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:46 AM
jcabotl Offline

Smile Found a solution on my pc

In my PC, I struggled with this for some time. Here is what I found out:

When I built this new system, I connected one Serial ATA drive as the primary on the primary IDE port. I then connected my CD/DVD burner as the primary on the secondary IDE port (i.e. each item was connected to the end ribbon cable).

This is a perfectly fine configuration with one exception. Since I was planning on adding a new hard drive, I had set my jumpers on the primary hard drive to MASTER with SLAVE (meaning there would be another hard drive on that ribbon).

Once I added the second hard drive, it booted in about 25 seconds.

Hope that helps someone that struggled with this one as I did.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
jmatt Offline

Thanks jcabotl, at least it is in the system now, someone googling may find your fix.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:43 AM
AnilSenkurt Offline

Jmatt!!

i was having issues about long time booting too and i've tried almost everythng i know before searching on web. I hate formatting and its not "fixing" anything. it just refreshes the windows. I ve tried everything you've just said all at once. I dont know which one fixed the issue but now my windows boots faster than it normally did before.

THANKS! a lot!! i m going to save your post in future use. Really appreciated.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:43 PM
ChetAngry Offline

Just a thought

HOW TO POWER UP AND BE SURFING THE NET IN 1 MINUTE FLAT
INSTRUCTIONS FOR AVERAGE HUMAN BEINGS WHO ENJOY PU$$Y AND BBQ…
(not for the advanced computer genius megabrain user or Wile E.Coyote "super genius" )
First of all Ill preface this post by saying that the only reason you bought your new computer was to get more RAM and speed and bla bla bla … the reason they keep coming up with all these new higher powered computers is completely self serving … the new operating systems that are forced on you are all equipped with more nonsense and useless frill than anyone can handle or manage while maintaining a normal life and or study and or have a girlfriend … So in short they are more powerful because they need to be in order to fan the egos of the designers and NOT to make your life easier …
SO … you bought a new porsche but you drive it at 30 km an hour … nice … If you want to take advantage of it you need to get to a road with higher speed limits … Do this …
STOP ALL YOUR UNNECESSARY START UP SERVICES AND PROGRAMS …
youll open them when you need them
Start/Run type : msconfig
go to the startup tab
uncheck everything but not whatever you think you can’t live without
I recommend leaving your virus scanner enabled (although thats up for debate)
now go to services tab and click the check box marked hide all microsoft services
whats left checked ? you really need these things ? ask yourself … probably not
click apply and ok
NEXT
SERVICES BY WINDOWS DESIGNED FOR BILL GATES BY BILL GATES
from my experience , and I am just your average idiot, alot of the services running on your computer can be disabled without any noticeable side effects ( at your own risk, of course) … and of course different strokes for different folks … I don’t know what you use your computer for but … the following services to me seem to do me no good … and in most cases just rob my time , bandwidth and general enjoyment … Im not gonna get into the more complex , Ill link you on that later if you’re really into tweaking …
Application layer gateway … in windows 7 its not even enabled
Baground intelligence transfer
Netlogon
Remote Desktop config
Remote Desktop Services
Remote Registry
Routing and remote Access ( anything that allows remote users to enter your computer , not great…so unless you use these features to acess your computer from a remote location disable them)
Secondary Logon
TCP/IP netbios helper
Windows Defender
Windows Firewall ( you probably have your own that works better )
Windows Update ( people think about this one for a bit … it’s killed alot of laptops that were incompatible with the new updates , your windows works fine … it’s just a way to force you to guinee pig their new failures ) but some people like that … not me
to get to services Start/Run type : services.msc
double click any service and set it to disabled, click apply /ok, when you restart … it won’t
Thats the very short list
here’s a link to a more advanced take on that :
http://www.speedyvista.com/services.php
there are sites out there that offer .reg and .bat files that will do configs automatically for you at one click, that is one of them ... if not the one for you, just look around on google … and keep in mind that link is for vista but as windows 7 is very similar the advice there will work the same way … and it’s only one example of what that user has come up with for a better working system … each user has different needs …
NEXT
THE BIGGY
THE ONE THAT TICKS ME OFF THE MOST
QOS RESPONDER … the bandwidth tax
it steals 20% of your bandwidth … that you pay your ISP for … mad yet ?
find your network adapter … in 7 and Vista go to control panel
open network and sharing center
change adapter settings (Windows7) (on the left panel)
double click your adapter (local area connection if wired / wireless net connection if wireless, i suggest doing both anyways)
hit properties
uncheck Qos Packet Scheduler
and if youre not on a network with other computers you share files with
disable file and printer sharing
click ok
the best way to make sure that is effective is with the gpedit.msc but windows 7 home edition does not allow for this, but look it up …
IN ADDITION :
don’t wonder why every christmas time your computer suddenly slows down or fails dramaticly … All major virus protection software companies work in conjunction with Microsoft to design new bugs that will crash your computer … and they count on the fact that you’re too tired to deal with it and will go buy a new computer … how do those trixi mother@#$%s know how to get into your computer ? they designed every vulnerability in it , that’s how … and if they designed a foolproof system … theyd go out of business (same reason most cars today are made of plastic , yet still rust) … so although it’s smart on their part … most people can’t afford to play that game …
here’s some programs i have used to help keep the designers of this trash in their yachts and off my desktop
Spybot Search and Destroy
Kaspersky
Hijack this (careful)
MalwareBytes
Outpost Firewall
ComboFix ( this is a badass tool , it cleans what it’s designed to and alot more too ) Ccleaner

none are perfect but generally they work well and I haven’t had a bug on my computer in years ( well ... not one that affects me , 100% bug free systems do not exist so don't obsess about it )
Also look into these issues on google youll be surprised how fast you can get that comp runnin …
FONT CACHE: ( through msconfig there are ways to prevent all the useless fonts that load with startup and slow your computer down a ton … im not getting into that now because its a pain and I haven’t done it yet on 7 so who knows … )
PREFETCH: this is the "ready... set... Go!" feature in windows , but none of us need to launch some winky dinky cutesy programs at the blink of an eye ... so empty your prefetch in the wondows directory, If you want to load certain programs really fast ... use a prefetch switch in their shortcut ... Try this ... it's cool, you gonna love me ...
right click a shortcut to your favorite program eg: Skype , Adobe Audition/Photoshop etc etc
look at the shortcut tab and in the "target" field add this to the end of it:
/prefetch:1
make sure theres a space between the last character (usually a quote mark) and the prefetch switch ...
click apply and ok
make sure the program isnt running already
and now click your shortcut ... Kablammo ... see how fast it opened ?
If you want Internet explorer to open that fast or any other browser, instead of the prefetch switch , just type the URL you want it to open to after the last character (again usually a quote mark)
example: it should read somethin like this, in "target"...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" www.google.com
click apply and ok
Click your browser shortcut
was i kidding ? nope , told ya ...
That works for most programs but not all ... not my fault , but still cool ...

PAGEFILE: Youre on your own , but basically it's often unnecessarily large ...

FAN SPEED: ( and especially if you smoke , open your computer and clean the fan with a toothpick, or q-tip with rubbing alcohol , youll be shocked how similar the gunk in it looks like the inside of your dryers lint trap , most computers run a hell of alot slower just cause they are too hot , if the fans not spinning right these mega processors could cook an egg )

UNPLUG YOUR UNNECESSARY USB DEVICES: ( if it’s not a drive you use constantly , all searches and indexing end up scanning through these attached devices anyways … ive had many issues with usb devices just being more of an interferance than not )

BEWARE OF CONSTANT UPDATES:
I realize most people want the latest in cool gadgetry ... but then again … as soon as they get used to a software the company goes and changes all their favorite features and you have to relearn it, who has this time ? … its a pain and almost never usefull … if you like the way a program works for you, usually you can set it to not update automatically … and other than your virus software in my opinion its best to leave “fine enough ” alone, and not update too often unless it is hindering functionability for that specific program … Windows included … people forget that the sum of all changes made, can hinder performance greatly and is generally designed to make someone else more money …
there are many many little ways to reduce the drag on your systems performance and cumulatively they add up to make your average computer run like a pros … don’t you love the windows experience meter ? you just bought 1000$ computer and it says youre a 3.1 on 5 … nice … F@#$% YOUUUUUUUUU…
This is the dust, on top of the tip, of the iceburg … If you buy a computer It should be yours not theirs … ask questions always, and use google … it’s your friend … youre not the only one who is pissed off about expensive tech not working for you …
I hope all this helps , the only reason I wrote this today is because I’m sick of being given the "run around" from major computer companies run by people who will never have to buy their own carton of milk, do their own laundry, or work a real day in their lives , and although you may not be sick of it yet … I guarantee you within 99% that one day, you will be …
If i missed anything, and I know I did, sorry … I’m in the back eating ribs …
Chet

Old 11-05-2011, 08:27 PM
hyper_drone56 Offline

God love ya chet, now thats a post and also the true way to run windows

Old 11-09-2011, 11:55 PM
JonBrant Offline

Chet, just registered to ask if you would have my babies. That is all. Awesome post.