SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

No Sound.. Says No Audio Device, but drivers are there and enabled "working properly"

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 87 votes, 2.84 average. Display Modes

Old 03-31-2007, 05:49 PM
ClActLitigator Offline

Thumbs down No Sound/Code 39/Desperate for Help!

I have tried a number of the fixes (all listed here and from other forums), and I still don't have sound. I have 2 devices that are error'd (yellow excalamtions). AC '97 and MIDI, respectively. This happened after installing and experiencing major issues with virtual cam (splitting) software. All of the trash/junk associated with these programs has been removed. After extensive research on many forums/threads I am certain this is related to my plug and play enumerator. I've attempted system restore/config, checked system admin and services are fine and automatic. I've attempted rollback to previous drivers to no avail. I've corrected and reinstalled machine.inf and swenum (Drivers) respectively, again, no avail. That said, I'm certain this is registry related, especially because of the blue screens I rec'd after initially installing and attempting to operate the malicious nazi software. I'm confident I can remove the upper and lower filters as described in many threads, however, I'm not sure of what registry keys to do this on. The only keys I have found in threads, etc are related to peripheral devices, CD/DVD rom's etc. Are the keys the same or do I need to correct other ones specific to my issue/device?? I'm desperate, can anyone help me please for I will be eternally grateful!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:25 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClActLitigator
I have tried a number of the fixes (all listed here and from other forums), and I still don't have sound. I have 2 devices that are error'd (yellow excalamtions). AC '97 and MIDI, respectively. This happened after installing and experiencing major issues with virtual cam (splitting) software. All of the trash/junk associated with these programs has been removed. After extensive research on many forums/threads I am certain this is related to my plug and play enumerator. I've attempted system restore/config, checked system admin and services are fine and automatic. I've attempted rollback to previous drivers to no avail. I've corrected and reinstalled machine.inf and swenum (Drivers) respectively, again, no avail. That said, I'm certain this is registry related, especially because of the blue screens I rec'd after initially installing and attempting to operate the malicious nazi software. I'm confident I can remove the upper and lower filters as described in many threads, however, I'm not sure of what registry keys to do this on. The only keys I have found in threads, etc are related to peripheral devices, CD/DVD rom's etc. Are the keys the same or do I need to correct other ones specific to my issue/device?? I'm desperate, can anyone help me please for I will be eternally grateful!

Take a look at this
Found this at Annoyances.org
Here is the REAL answer!! =)
Tuesday, August 12, 2003 at 9:03 pm
Posted by Snipe (1 messages posted)

I found this instructions when looking for an answer to this exact same problem, I followed the directions and wala! I now can see my sound card inthe greyed out areas again! Try it out fellas! Carl's solution worked like a charm for me, once I actually read it carefully enough to understand what was going on. It's truly a stroke of genius, and I strongly suggest you try his process before you go reinstalling your entire operating system. To recap in detail (for Windows XP; YMMV): 1. From Device Manager (be sure to select View/Show hidden devices), find the 'ISAPNP Read Data Port' device from the System Devices list. (Of note: once I successfully repaired this problem, this device no longer appears.) 2. Right click the ISAPNP device, and select "Update Driver" 3. Select "Install from a list or specific location" 4. Select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install." 5. The step I left out on prior trials: UNSELECT "Show Compatible Hardware" 6. Be sure that "(Standard System Devices)" is selected under Manufacturer. 7. Under Model, scroll down until you see "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator". Select this item, and select "Next>". 8. You will receive some frightening error message that you should probably disregard. 9. Complete the installation of the driver. You will see your device list magically change before your eyes. The other PNP devices will mysteriously become enabled and active. If not, restart. Thank you for posting this solution; it has saved endless hours of reinstallation, and perhaps a marriage as well.

On Monday, August 11, 2003 at 5:26 am, Harker wrote:
>
>Afraid reinstalling drivers did not work for me either! This is what did it for me:
>
>Inserted windows XP cd Original and installed using the Update option (This mantains
>all documents, settings and installed applications). After the installation the sound
>was back on.

Hope this helps

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
ClActLitigator Offline

RE: CODE 39/No Sound

Bookworm,
Thanks so much for your efforts in helping me restore sound. I did exactly as instructed in your response. Unfortunately, still no sound and AC/97, MIDI, and P&P Enumerator yellow exclamations. I can't install my windows xp CD as suggested to update, because I recently moved and have lost my software/driver cd's. I desperately need help, there has to be a solution, please please help me!

Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 PM
bookworm Offline
Sound Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClActLitigator
Bookworm,
Thanks so much for your efforts in helping me restore sound. I did exactly as instructed in your response. Unfortunately, still no sound and AC/97, MIDI, and P&P Enumerator yellow exclamations. I can't install my windows xp CD as suggested to update, because I recently moved and have lost my software/driver cd's. I desperately need help, there has to be a solution, please please help me!

Have a word with these guys http://72.29.80.128/Forum/

they have more knowledge on M$ settings than I have

Hope this helps

Barbara MCP

Friends are
Gods apology
for relations.

It's not what you know, it's who you know ( especially the members of the Software Tips&Tricks Forum )

Old 04-09-2007, 11:42 AM
allgoodh Offline

Hi, before I try any of the methods mentioned in this thread can somebody tell me if Valiante's methods work for sound cards independent of the motherboard sound device?

I have a echo gina pci soundcard with a breakout box and am getting the hardware is installed and working properly but am also getting the no sound device detected.

I had a feeling it was due to a windows update.

Please advise.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
technoguy Offline

@ Valiante
Thanx buddy u really deserve round of applause. Your method worked and finally sound is active now. thanx again.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 AM
KreweMeister Offline

Audio Cunundrum

I have the same symptoms. everything was OK until I installed SP2. After that all windows or program audio disapeard. I have performed all the sugguested fixes listed here and still receive the error message "windows cannot play the sound %SystemRoot%\Media\Windows XP Error. wav. Your sound card may be in use."

I have went so far as to system restore back 3 weeks and uninstall SP2, all to no success.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
mpeill Offline

And another problem on the same lines:
After allowing an Automatic Windows XP update, all my sound devices disappeared, both on-board and USB sound devices.
However, running the sound utility that came with the motherboard, the sound works fine.
In device manager, the sound card is there and "Working properly"
Selecting properties, then the properties tab, shows Audio devices, Midi devices, and Mixer devices.
Each of these states "the driver is enabled but has not been started."
Through Control Panel, Sound and Audio Devices Properties, the hardware tab shows my audio device as present, however, under the Audio tab, sound playback only lists "Modem #0 Line Playback" and nothing else!
It is the same situation above for my USB sound device.

Any ideas as to how to get my sound back greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM
vegajoel Offline

Same thing...

I'm having this same problem with "no audio device" in Control Panel/Audio and no sound from speakers. Like the post above, under the properties of the device, it says "Driver is enable but has not been started"

I've recently had to a complete format/install of Windows XP, and at first no sound. Then I download RealTek AC'97 drivers, and the sound worked but "no audio device". Then I tried installing Windows SP2. Note: I seem to have lost sound when I switched from *blank* field to "Windows default" under Sound Scheme of Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Sounds... The three choices were: a *blank* field, "windows default", and "no sounds"

I've tried downloading the motherboard drivers from MSI.com, by first downloading the 4-in-1 driver, rebooting, then installing the RealTek AC'97 driver, but nothing.

I've tried several other suggestions from various forums, including the "Plug and Play Enumerator" fix, and the "Admin Tools-->Component Svcs-->Svcs (local)--Windows Audio-->automatic/enabled" fix.

Here are my specs:
Mainboard : MSI PM8M3-V (MS-7211)
Chipset : VIA P4M800CE
Processor : Intel Celeron D 331 @ 2666 MHz
Physical Memory : 512 MB (1 x 512 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce4 MX 4000
Hard Disk : ST340014A (40 GB)
Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : SONY CD-RW CRX195E1
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW DRU-710A
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL E770s - 16 inches
Network Card : D-Link Inc DFE-528TX/530TX+/538TX Fast Ethernet Adapter (DL 10038C Chipset)
Network Card : VT82C570 MV IDE Controller VT6102 Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c

If anyone can offer any suggestions, welcome and thank you for the altruism. Much obliged.

Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
vegajoel Offline

Eureka!!!

OK, after much toil, I fixed it.

I had to delete all instances of "swenum" from the registry with regedit.
Then reboot.
Then I could re-install the plug and play enumerator.
Then I could re-install the audio driver.
Reboot, and it recognized it.

WOOOHOOOOOO!

Thanks for everybody's help!!!!

P.s. Windows should have a mo-fo fix for this, dammit.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:26 PM
codayop Offline

[quote=Valiante]There are two possible scenarios;

Scenario One
  1. In Sounds and Audio Devices you are told there is "No Audio Device"
  2. In Device Manager your Audio Device is "Working Properly" and
  3. You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

Carry out the following steps;
  • Copy C:\WINDOWS\inf\machine.inf to a temporary location
  • Edit your copy of machine.inf in Notepad
  • Remove line 20 (ExcludeFromSelect=*)
  • Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
  • Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
  • Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
  • Click “Have Disk”
  • Browse to the location of your copy of machine.inf and click OK
  • Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next
  • Wait for the software to install then click Finish

Bravo, Valiante. Thanks and keep it up.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:04 AM
cindymel Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiante
There are two possible scenarios;

Scenario One
  3. You DO have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

• Right-click “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click “Update Driver”
  • Choose “Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)” and click Next
  • Choose “Don’t search. I will choose the driver to install” and click Next
  • Click “Have Disk”
  • Select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator” and click Next

Scenario Two
  3. You DON’T have "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" listed under System Devices

• Go to the Control Panel and run “Add Hardware”
  • When the Add Hardware Wizard appears, click Next
  • Wait for it to search for new hardware
  • Choose Yes, I have already connected the hardware and click Next
  • Scroll all the way down and select “Add a new hardware device”, click Next
  • Choose “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)”, click Next
  • Select “Show All Devices” and click Next
  • Click “Have Disk”
  • Under Model, select “Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator”, click Next
  • To start installing the drivers, click Next

Your audio device should now be recognised in Sounds and Audio Devices.

I've tried all about this, but the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' still shows 'No Audio Device'.

I have two sound cards, one is on the motherboard whichi is AC97, i've disabled it in the BIOS. And the other is Creative SoundBlaster Live! Value. After I format the disk and reinstall XP, the Creative SoundBlaster still works properly, but when i upgrade to sp2, it does'nt work.

I have reinstalled the latest driver for Creative SoundBlaster which is provided by Creative many times.

Now, the status of my computer is:[*]In Sounds and Audio Devices, there is "No Audio Device"[*]In Device Manager,the Audio Device is "Working Properly"
Audio Codecs
Creative Game Port
Creative SB Live! Value
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device
Vedio Codecs[*]I‘ve
updated "Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator" driver using the way above

Is there any way to solve this problem? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Theman000 Offline

Hi,
First of all, thanks for all the work everyone has put in this topic. It's the best by far that I could find on the internet. I have the same problem. I have tried the solutions mentioned above, but so far without result.
When I try Valiente's trick, I can't make my computer accept the new system.inf file. I keep on getting an error message saying there is a problem with the driver I'm trying to install....
Might this have something to do with the fact that I have Windows Vista premium? Maybe the extra security measure prevent me from messing with the windows file.....If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know. I feel I'm almost there :-)

Cheers

Old 05-13-2007, 11:48 PM
vi.bee Offline

This thread is awesome! I did what Spyderballs said and got the sounds back on my Dell laptop. Under service status make sure you click "Start". I didn't even have to restart or change to Windows Default. So again, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services (Local) -> Windows Audio. Under Startup Type select Automatic and under Service Status click Start. Thanks for your help everyone.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:42 PM
djs236 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgoodh
Hi, before I try any of the methods mentioned in this thread can somebody tell me if Valiante's methods work for sound cards independent of the motherboard sound device?

I have a echo gina pci soundcard with a breakout box and am getting the hardware is installed and working properly but am also getting the no sound device detected.

I had a feeling it was due to a windows update.

Please advise.

Thanks for any help in advance.

I also have the Gina24 with the breakout box and it suddenly stopped working properly. I can get it to work when using WinAmp, and Windows plays the opening and closing sounds, but Windows Media Player doesn't have sound and neither does iTunes. In the control panel it says "no audio device". Is this the same problem other people have described?