Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

Can't run Network Setup Wizard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

Old 02-24-2004, 04:38 PM
username0192837 Offline

Can't run Network Setup Wizard

I am having some problems with the Network Setup Wizard and network connections. When I view the network
connections the only one listed is my local area connection. None of my VPN connections are listed. The shortcuts to the VPN connections are still functional and I can still use them. IPCONFIG will show an IP address for a VPN connection when it's connected and it works just fine. But the only way I can disconnect it is to log off the machine. Also, the Network Setup Wizard does not work. I click it and get nothing. Maybe an hourglass for a split second. I have run it from several places including the XP CD with the same result on all. The shortcut points to the correct DLL. I have tried everything imaginable to fix this issue , including a system restore and re-running service pack and all updates. Does anyone
have any ideas?

Old 02-25-2004, 08:18 PM
username0192837 Offline

I found a solution for the network setup wizard not working. It took me a while, but I finally got it. In the properties of "Local Area Connection" I removed the following:

Deterministic network enhancer
Qos Packet Scheduler
IP version 6

I am guessing that it was the Deterministic network enhancer that was causing the problem because windows shows that the driver is not digitally signed. But I uninstalled them all at the same time, so I can't say for sure. If anyone else has this issue, you can try uninstalling them one at a time. That may help determine which one is causing the problem for sure. Hopefully this helps. It worked for me, all my connections are showing again and the wizard runs no problem.