SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum

Go Back   SoftwareTipsandTricks Forum > Operating Systems > Windows XP
User Name
Password

"show window contents while dragging"

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes

Old 03-05-2004, 11:01 AM
vpatel1 Offline

Question "show window contents while dragging"

Hello everyone:
I have the dell system as described below only 1 mo. old.

Dell Dimension 8300
P4-3 gig
1 Gig RAM
128 meg. radeon 9800 pro
120 SATA HDD
8X DVD+RW, CD+RW drives
SB live 5.1 sound card

Problem is that the "show window contents while dragging" setting gets turned off evertime after re-boot. I then manually turn it on by clicking Display->appearence->effects-> and "show win..." settings. It remains checked till I reboot again, and then is turned off by some program. (Microsoft actually has it turned 'ON' by default!!)

Is there a way to find out which program is turning it off?? I have Dell Roxio movie studio, but some other extra programs (Adobe graphics bundle, Corel graphics II bundle). Dell wants me to re-install the whole system (I tried just repair option from Dell CD, but the problem remains. I would prefer not to re-install everything. I have enough power to spare for such display properties and I like to see the window when I move it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2004, 01:11 PM
Play_The_0dds Offline
Risk it all

i dont see where reinstalling the operating system would help, it is probably a glitch with all those graphics editing software, if you put all them back on the problem will more then likely return. i would check the sites for all the software for updates and patches for the programs, if this does not resolve the situation it's more then likely to be conflicts with that many of the same type of program.

Old 03-05-2004, 07:00 PM
Gene K Offline

First go to the Display Adapters manufacturers site and check for a driver and/or software update. If none available or the update does not resolve the problem, disable every graphics program you have and then reboot to see if problem is solved. If so, re-enable them one by one; re-boot; until you find the culprit. I agree with a previous post that you have a bunch of them including some you probably did not mention such as Paint and Windows Media Player.
There may be other causes; however, you can live with the problem if you cannot find the fix. No big thing.
Gene K

"Your boyfriend stayed very late last night," the father admonished his daughter.
"Did the noise bother you, Dad?"
"No, but the long periods of silence did!"

Last edited by Gene K : 03-05-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Old 03-07-2004, 03:27 PM
vpatel1 Offline

Thumbs up

thanks for the reply. I found the culprit! It is Dell's own program called Dell Multimedia Experience. It was surprising that Dell support people don't know about this.

Old 03-07-2004, 06:29 PM
Gene K Offline

Great you solved the problem. Remember that software conflicts happen more often than you think. Do not try to fix things the difificult way until you have exhausted all the easy stuff. In other words, "Don't shoot your only horse until he/she has been dead a couple of days."
Gene K
"Your boyfriend stayed very late last night," the father admonished his daughter.
"Did the noise bother you, Dad?"
"No, but the long periods of silence did!"

Old 03-12-2004, 10:54 AM
phxflyboy Offline

vpatel1,

I just got my brand new Dell 8300 this week and am having the same problem. I have the same "Dell Multimedia Experience". I'm wondering two things: First, how did you narrow it down to that and Second, did you have to remove it to fix the problem? I like having the contents while dragging but I also kind of like the DME.

phxflyboy

Old 03-13-2004, 12:04 PM
vpatel1 Offline

Hi! phxflyboy
After so many days and multiple tries, I finally decided to just restore the windows XP-Pro. After that I started re-installing the Dell programs (that were bundled with the system) one-by-one and found out that after I re-installed the DME the problem occured!! I uninstalled it and the problem was gone!!

There must be a setting in DME that can prevent this, but I have decided that too much time was already wasted, so I havent tried to reinstall it. If you know, DME has an option to start the windows in DME GUI, instead of the Desktop, so maybe that is doing it. If you find out a setting in DME that can change the windows dragging, please let me know. It maybe hidden in the registry (which I haven't looked at).

I guess we are all better than the Dell boys!!

Old 03-16-2004, 11:02 PM
phxflyboy Offline

Sorry I took a while to respond, just got back in town from Vegas. I have messed around a bit with the DME and have not found a setting that prevents the disabling of the content dragging but I will continue to poke around and if I find anything, I'll let you know. Thanks for the reply.

phxflyboy

Old 03-17-2004, 06:40 AM
vpatel1 Offline

I haven't had a chance to look into the DME registry yet. I was busy fighting another problem. My Dell would not recover from a standby or hibernation, even after trying a lot of so called 'fixes'. Finally the Microsoft mouse USB solved the problem temporarily when it was removed, however that did not last for too long, and now Dell is going to change the whole motherboard!! (this is my 3rd replacement system from Dell since Dec. 03!!).

Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 AM
phxflyboy Offline

Wow, that really stinks. My last Dell (4100) that just got replaced with this 8300 never would do the hibernation thing properly. So far (keep my fingers crossed) this 8300 is working great. Good luck, hope they take care of you right.

phxflyboy