Windows 7, makes it easy to play music and video on other networked PCs, TVs, or stereos around the house. If you have a home network, you can use Windows Media Player to stream media to computers and media devices spread across your home. Media streaming was called media sharing in earlier versions of Windows Media Player. The following procedure explains how to get started.
Connect your device or another computer to your network Before you can stream media, you'll need to connect your digital media devices or other computers to your home network. Just connect an Ethernet cable from your device or other computer to your wired network, or set up your device or computer to join your wireless network.
Turn on home media streaming
If media sharing isn't already turned on, follow these steps:
* Open Windows Media Player.
* Switch to Library mode
* Click on Stream, and then click on Turn on home media streaming available on the Media streaming options page.
* This option won't be available on the Stream menu if streaming is already turned on.
* Click on OK.
Set up basic streaming preferences
After you turn on media streaming, Windows Media Player will automatically detect any computers and devices on your network that can receive media streams. You can either stream media to all computers and devices on your network, or allow access to your media on a case-by-case basis.
To choose which devices will receive your media streams, follow these steps:
• Open Windows Media Player and Switch to Library mode
• Click on Stream, and then open More Streaming Options.
• More streaming options won't appear on the Stream menu if you haven’t turned on home media streaming.
• On the Media streaming options page, choose one of the following:
• If you want to stream media to all computers and devices on your network, click Allow All.
• If you don't want to stream media to any computers or devices on your network, click Block All.
• If you want to stream media to some computers and devices, click either Allowed or Blocked on the menu next to each item in the list of computers and devices.
• Press OK and you’re done.