The security problem has to do with an error in the programming of the Universal Plug and Play system. The error allowed people to gain access to your system and use it for DoS attacks. Microsoft has made a patch available on Windows Update for download but if you never use this service, why not just disable it so you can be sure that no one will be exploiting your system. To do so just follow the short instructions below:
1. Click on the Start button and select Run.
2. Then type Services.msc in the text box and click OK.
3. Once the services management counsel has loaded, scroll down the list of services until you find Universal Plug and Play.
4. Right click on the service and select properties.
5. On the general tab you will notice a spot displays the start up type. By default it is set to manual. This allows it to start up when ever the service is called. We want to change the start up type to disable. This can be done by selecting Disable from the drop down box.
6. Then click the OK button and close the services management counsel.